Friday 19 October 2012

Brindisa Eatery Review

An occasional diversion to give you my thoughts on memorable meals. I have been a regular at the Brindisa stall in Borough market, enjoying their chorizo and pepper sandwiches and taking home the occasional ham ( yes, a whole ham). The arrival of some good news met my wife treated me to lunch at the Brindisa tapas restaurant. We started with a selection of iberico, Serrano and iberico de bellota ham, melting, creamy and salty, this was joined by a small plate of Bricks de Morecilla, small slices of black pudding wrapped in filo pastry and fried. The later was a new one for me and a wonderful mouthful of yumminess. I washed this down with a delicious Amontillado seco Napoleon, dry, rich and nutty, slightly chilled and very easy to drink.
Next up my wife opted for a signature dish, and seasonal, wild mushrooms on toast with truffle oil and shaved manchego cheese. Whilst the flavour, toast and cheese were generous, the mushrooms where not. I opted from the deep fried Monte Enebro goats cheese with honey and beetroot chips, it was utterly delicious but better suited to dessert as the honey emphasised the sweet creaminess of the cheese. I loved the balance of the salt cod and orange salad, with boiled egg and onions; salt, acid, sweetness all working harmoniously. The wine list has an extensive selection of wine by the glass (125ml) which mean you can play around with a different combinations, a small glass of a £50-60 bottle is not something you will see in many places. I chose a Pazo Senorans 2011, Alborino/Rias Baixas, full, aromatic and wonderfully balanced with great acidity and minerality.
It is fair to say that the generous portions would have made this a satisfying lunch as it was but the sight of black rice with fried squid and a further dish of pork belly with quince jam was too tempting and justifiable. I washed this down with a wonderful Valenciso Reserva Rioja 2005, soft and round but with strong dark fruit. You can eat quite modestly at Brindisa but go there with a sense of occasion and hungry eyes at your peril

No comments:

Post a Comment